[sane-devel] [long] Want someone help me about Canon FS4000US USB/SCSI driver ?

eric@b.org eric.bachard@free.fr
Sat, 09 Aug 2003 11:41:24 +0200

Hi Jonathan,

Jonathan Buzzard a écrit:

> That is a factually incorrect statement. If you are willing to part with
> money, then Vuescan supports this scanner under Linux. Just because
> there is no free software that supports this scanner, does not mean it
> does not runs under Linux.

Yes, my sentence wasn't correct. There's no free software supporting
this scanner yet.  But I've forgotten to say I've already tested this
software (Vuescan) and won't be able to do it work (with scsi bus).
Vuescan don't even see it...So Money is not the problem here.

FYI, the scanner isn't mine too, and I never used a film-scanner before
:-) , but I can use it all the time. So I can help. I like to make work
unsupported hardware. Here's the challenge.

USB bus don't give enough informations, so the scsi bus must be used.
IMHO, there's a problem with the scsi bus. Perhaps is it my fault, I
don't know (but all other SCSI hardware I have are working perfectly
under Linux).

>>My purpose is to find someone who can help me to write/complete a
>>driver for this hardware and perhaps include it in Sane (what a good
>>project , no ?).
>

> Note to be really useful you are going to need to write a front end as
> well, and sort out the proposed Sane2 standard so that you can get
> the IR channel back from the scanner to the front end. Though you
> are probably best served by getting it working with Sane1 first.

I didn't understand all what you say because I don't know what does even
mean "sane2 standard" (sorry), but I'll read some documentation about
this, and I'll soon be able to give you a correct answer ;-)

> One presumes that as the scanner also has a SCSI interface that the
> USB interface is just encapsulating the SCSI commands on the USB bus,
> so it is probably best if you can prod it over a SCSI bus, log what
> is going on and then prod it over the USB bus and see if you can
> spot how the SCSI commands are being encapsulated on the USB.

I'll do like that. I can both use scsi and usb, and now I've got all
what I can expect for doing tests.

> The standard tools of usb snoopy and wdmsniffer come to mind for
> logging the various activity on the various interfaces under Windows.

Thank you very much for all this software I didn't even know before.
I've downloaded them all. I'll do the tests under Windows and Mac OS (X
with Classic) and come back (soon ?) with what I have found. Thanks a lot.

Best regards

--
eric b