[sane-devel] SANE2 plans: RFC

Jaeger, Gerhard gerhard@gjaeger.de
Sun, 10 Aug 2003 13:03:49 +0200

Hi,

On Samstag, 9. August 2003 12:34, Major A wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think that we should get the SANE2 implementation rolling, even if
> the standard isn't completely finalized. A standard is never final
> without even a single frontend and backend to use it.

Good idea, although I'm prettry short of time, I see, that there's currently
some kind of stop in SANE development, maybe the start of SANE2 helps
to start with new energy!

 As Henning has said, adapting the test backend and scanimage should be
> first. But how shall we do that in CVS? The frontend should be easy
> enough because it can check for the backend version to see whether
> SANE1 or SANE2 is used, making it completely transparent to the
> user. But there is no version-check facility for frontends, so
> backends will be a bit more difficult. Shall we create a new directory
> backend2 for all the SANE2 backends? Or a new repository altogether? I
> don't like CVS branching because it causes too much confusion for what
> you gain from it.

I think, we should start (AFAIK it's already done) with a new repository, as
the SANE1 repository will be needed as stable base to provide - let's say -
the next 1.0.x releases as long, as needed...

Ciao,
   Gerhard