[sane-devel] devfs and scanner detection

Mr E_T troll@logi.net.au
Sun, 17 Aug 2003 22:37:51 +0800 (WST)

When devfs is used and modules are autoloaded the device is not listed under
/dev/usb

It is not listed until the module is loaded.

The module is loaded when a program attempts to open say /dev/usb/scanner0

BUT sane only opens the device IF it exists in a directory listing.

In this case the device wont exist because the kernel does not know that an
application is looking for it.

Currently I have had to modprobe the scanner module b4 I run a sane aware
program.

The problem as I said is that the usb module does a directory listing b4 opening
the device file Whereas it should just try opening it.

This should cause the kernel to attempt to create the device if it does not
exist.

Thanx

--
regs MR E_T