[sane-devel] Translation status

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter@gmx.net
Tue, 26 Aug 2003 01:04:11 +0200

Yann E. MORIN wrote:
> Good {evening,morning,afternoon} all!
>
> (Sorry Henning for the private mail... Still not used to the reply policy! ;-/)
>
> Once upon a time (on Friday 22 August 2003 20:05), Henning Meier-Geinitz wrote :
>  > fr Translated     :  579 (92.3%)
>
> Here I am again, with an updated .fr.po translation :
> Translated     :  619 (98.7%)
>       of which :    0 fuzzy ( 0.0%)
> Not translated :    8 ( 1.3%)
> Total          :  627
>
> French-aware readers, would some one comment on those translations (not yet
> included in the above result), before I submit the file :
>
> "Bayer Dither {16,64}"   ->  "Bayer entrelaçé {16,64}"
> "Dithemap {1,2}"         ->  "Table d'entrelçage {1,2}"
>
> To me, dithering is the same for color-space as halftone is for B&W-space.
> Am I right? And does that make sense to translate 'dither' (and dithering,
> ...) as 'entrelaçé'?

Salut,

I am not perfect in french, but 'entrelaçé' is "interlaced" for me, in
printing also "weaving". This means that on one sweep of the print head
not all pixels of the covered area are printed, the next sweep goes over
this area (or a part of it again) to print pixels which were left out
the first time. This is done to get a resolution higher than the
distance between the nozzles, or to make the paper less wet on high ink
densities, or also to reduce stripes of the print head sweeps.

Dithering is something completely different, which is also done by laser
printers. One does dithering to raise the colour depth on the cost of
resolution. A laser has only one bit of native colour depth, inkjets 1
or 2 bits (always per ink/toner colour, usually CMYK or CMYmyK). As
photos have 8 bits of colour depth per colour component of RGB but often
a lower resolution than the printer, one takes a matrix of printer
pixels, for example 4x4, and makes up one photo pixel of them. By
combining different dot patterns in such a matrix the avarage colour
impression of the matrix can have many more different color tones then a
printer pixel.

Unfortunately, I do not know the french word for dithering. Perhaps you
should have a look at the translations of the GIMP-Print package
(http://gimp-print.sf.net/).

    Till