[sane-devel] SANE2 (was Re: Scanning negatives with Epson Perferction 1260 Photo)

Major A andras at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Aug 2 21:45:08 BST 2003

> It seems to me that if nothing happens on the SANE2 front (eg development),
> SANE2 will stay a mirage. A well documented illusion.
> A lot of people have given some input, but if the proposal isn't
> implemented, why care?

Good point, Frank. The bad thing is that SANE1 and SANE2 are mostly
incompatible, so it's currently quite difficult to write a SANE2
frontend because there no suitable backends, and vice versa.

It just occurred to me that we could make a shortcut: create a
metabackend that converts from SANE1 to SANE2, and one for the other
way round. All that would be needed is an appropriate directory
structure in CVS, and we could have SANE1 and SANE2 running
concurrently.

I might have some time in a couple of weeks, so maybe I'll have a
closer look at SANE2 to find out how the conversion can be done.

This is an RFC.

  Andras

Major Andras
    e-mail: andras at users.sourceforge.net