[sane-devel] Xsane go.... -no go.... "Bugger!"

Frank Frank at snapafun.co.nz
Mon Aug 4 13:35:51 BST 2003

On Sun, 03 Aug 2003 9:59 pm, Henning Meier-Geinitz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 05:01:54PM +1200, Frank wrote:
> > The system 'hung' when I attempted to access the memory stick but
> > continued on its way when I switched off the 'Self' mode.
>
> Very strange.

> > > That's your camera. If you don't want to use it with SANE, you can
> > > disable it by commenting out "v4l" in /etc/sane.d/dll.conf.
> >
> > OK. Tried that and got back to 'no devices found' NB. when xsane was
> > running [and previewing me through my PocketCam] I went to preferences
> > and selected 'Load devices'.
>
> Do you mean "load device settings?" That only loads the option values
> you used last time with your scanner. It doesn't change which device
> you are using.

The pop up dialogue says "no devices available" but this time I had followed
your advice as below before attempting to issue $Xsane.

> > There it saw my scanner but the resultant action when I selected it
> > had me back out.
>
> You saw the settings for your scanner. That doesn't help.

Er..... wait till you see below..... gulp!

> Your problem is that SANE, or better, the snapscan backend does not
> find your device.

Still see below.... double gulp!

> > > That means when you run "scanimage -L" another program had already
> > > opened the scanner. YOu can't open it twice at the same time. Maybe
> > > there was xsane or another fronetend running? Maybe it crashed but is
> > > still blocking /dev/usb/scanner0 for some reason? Check ps -ax.
> >
> > Er.... nothing obvious to me here. What ought I be looking for?
>
> You can use "lsof /dev/usb/scanner0" to find out if some program has
> already opened the scanner.

At this point I got on with following your advice and the following is the
results:

[root at localhost root]# lsof /dev/usb/scanner0
[root at localhost root]# rmmod scanner
[root at localhost root]# scanimage -L
device `snapscan:libusb:001:003' is a Acer FlatbedScanner13 flatbed scanner

This is exactly as printed in the text console.
Also after this I see that the desktop icon has gone.

> > > SANE_DEBUG_SNAPSCAN=255 scanimage -d snapscan >/tmp/image.pnm 2>log
> >
> > I couldn't get any results from this issue so dropped the >/tmp... etc
> > part and got:
>
> The 2>log means "write the debug messages to the file named 'log' in
> the current directory".

Which for me may mean that there was no output hence no find?

> > # SANE_DEBUG_SNAPSCAN=255 scanimage -d snapscan
> > [sanei_debug] Setting debug level of snapscan to 255.
> > [snapscan] sane_snapscan_init
> > [snapscan] sane_snapscan_init: Snapscan backend version 1.4.22
> > [snapscan] add_usb_device(libusb:001:003)
> > [snapscan] add_usb_device: Detected (kind of) an USB device
> > [snapscan] snapscani_usb_open(libusb:001:003)
> > [snapscan] add_usb_device: error opening device libusb:001:003: Device
> > busy
>
> That's basically the same message as in the kernel log file.
>
> Try (as root) "rmmod scanner" to unload the kernel scanner driver.
> Then try (also as root) if "scanimage -L" finds your scanner now.

You can see the results above. It seems that my scanner is being seen?

> > Got that and it fits with my "NB" above. I just wonder if there is a
> > means within Xsane to actually select the preferred device?
>
> That's not the real proble. If the snapscan backend found the scanner,
> xsane would show it to you.
>
> Can I see your snapscan.conf (in /etc/sane.d/), please?

How can I refuse such a polite request? Does this mean I'm about to be dressed
military style? Sorry, it's past midnight here so I'm taking things lightly.

Hope the following doesn't blow my file size budget.

#------------------------------ General -----------------------------------

# Change to the fully qualified filename of your firmware file, if
# firmware upload is needed by the scanner
firmware /path/to/your/firmware/file.bin

# If not automatically found you may manually specify a device name.

# For USB scanners also specify bus=usb, e.g.
# /dev/usb/scanner0 bus=usb

# For SCSI scanners specify the generic device, e.g. /dev/sg0 on Linux.
# /dev/sg0

# No changes should be necessary below this line

#-------------------------- SCSI scanners ----------------------------------
# These SCSI devices will be probed automatically
scsi AGFA * Scanner
scsi COLOR * Scanner
scsi Color * Scanner
scsi ACERPERI * Scanner

#--------------------------- USB scanners -----------------------------------
# These USB devices will be probed automatically
# (This will currently work only on Linux)

# Benq/Acer/Vuego 310U
usb 0x04a5 0x1a20

# Benq/Acer/Vuego 320U
usb 0x04a5 0x2022

# Benq/Acer/Vuego 620U / 620UT
usb 0x04a5 0x1a2a
usb 0x04a5 0x2040

# Benq/Acer/Vuego 640U
usb 0x04a5 0x2060

# Benq/Acer/Vuego 640BU
usb 0x04a5 0x207e

# Benq/Acer/Vuego 1240U
usb 0x04a5 0x20c0

# Benq/Acer/Vuego 3300 / 4300
usb 0x04a5 0x20b0

# Benq/Acer/Vuego 4300
usb 0x04a5 0x20de

# Benq/Acer/Vuego 5000
usb 0x04a5 0x20fc

# Benq/Acer/Vuego 5300
usb 0x04a5 0x20fe

# Agfa 1236U
usb 0x06bd 0x0002

# Agfa 1212U
usb 0x06bd 0x0001
usb 0x06bd 0x2061

# Agfa Snapscan e10
usb 0x06bd 0x2093

# Agfa Snapscan e20
usb 0x06bd 0x2091

# Agfa Snapscan e25
usb 0x06bd 0x2095

# Agfa Snapscan e26
usb 0x06bd 0x2097

# Agfa Snapscan e40
usb 0x06bd 0x208d

# Agfa Snapscan e42
usb 0x06bd 0x20ff

# Agfa Snapscan e50
usb 0x06bd 0x208f

# Agfa Snapscan e52
usb 0x06bd 0x20fd

# Epson Perfection 660
usb 0x04b8 0x0114

And my sincerity in thanking you has not waned. Your input is greatly
appreciated. Thank you.

--
Frank

Big or small, any challenge requires the same commitment to resolve.