[sane-devel] Re: Coolscan 2 and autofocus

Major A andras at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Aug 13 12:31:20 BST 2003

[I'm also replying to the SANE mailing list, please send questions
like this to that list in the first place.]

> I have a Nikon LS-2000 (Super Coolscan 2000) that I'm trying to get
> working with SANE.  It will not autofocus properly.  The driver sends
> the focus command and the scanner makes focusing noises for a while, but
> then the driver gets back 0.  Looking at the actual data returned from
> the scanner in s->recv_buf, it is 13 nulls.  Any idea what the problem
> is?

That's weird. I've had reports from at least one LS-2000 user who says
the scanner works fine, including AF, so this is interesting.

AF is performed in three steps in coolscan2 -- the first two cause the
scanner to autofocus, the third reads the focus position back. I guess
you're talking about the third command when you refer to recv_buf.

Thus it seems that your scanner performs AF properly, but then fails
to send the resulting focus position back to the computer, if I
understand what you're saying. Have you tried scanning with manual
focus to see whether that works?

Finally, what SCSI controller do you use?

> Also, do you have documentation on the scanner?  I would like to help
> out with driver development and fixing bugs like this but lack any
> documentation apart from the user manual.

I have, but it's under an NDA, so I can't distribute it.

  Andras

Major Andras
    e-mail: andras at users.sourceforge.net
    www:    http://andras.webhop.org/