[sane-devel] scanimage doesn't detect scanner (gentoo-Linux)

Klaus Dahlke klaus.dahlke at gmx.de
Wed Aug 13 22:19:19 BST 2003

Hi all,

I have a multiple boot system, one is based on SUSE kernel 2.4.19, the another is a gentoo 2.4.20 kernel. On both systems I use sane-backends-1.0.12 to a Astra Umax 2200 SU via USB and libusb-0.1.7. On the SuSE-system the scanner is identified correctly by sane-find-scanner and scanimage -L, no matter if I am logged on as user or root. I also copied the 2.4.20 kernel with modules to the SuSe-system and sane-find-scanner and scanimage -L works fine.

On the gentoo-system sane-find-scanner detect the scanner for the standard user as well as for root. But scanimage -L doesn't detect any scanner, no matter whether I am loggd as root or user. Permissions are set to 664 (root.disk) for /dev/usbscanner and and /dev/usb/scanner0 (I would guess that this is not really required for libusb access). My normal user is member of group 'disk'.

Best regards,
Klaus