[sane-devel] Digital ICE support

Hubert Figuiere hfiguiere@teaser.fr
Mon, 01 Dec 2003 12:00:30 +0100

On lun, 2003-12-01 at 09:42, Nils Philippsen wrote:

> > > You mean e.g. not giving up on Kodak slides? I have many of this type,
> > > so I'll love to have it as well.
> >
> > I assume you mean Kodachrome? I think it's possible to do IR cleaning
>
> Yes.
>
> > on Kodachrome, but it's a lot harder than for E6 and C41 because the
> > IR channel is more strongly correlated with other colours than in the
> > case of E6/C41.
>
> From my (small) experience, it's only harder with Kodachrome, the other
> slides I had (mostly Agfa consumer material) had almost perfect IR
> channels with no resemblance to the original picture, only speckles and
> scratches.

The problem with Kodachrome is the same as it is with B&W negative film.
The sensitive emulsion contains a large amount of silver and this
materiel does produce something when scanning with IR, unlike it is done
with conventionnal C41 or E6 emulsions.

Nikon has apparently solved the problem with the latest Coolscans, but
one has to investigate how.

Hub
--
"<erno> hm. I've lost a machine.. literally _lost_. it responds to ping,
it works completely, I just can't figure out where in my apartment it