[sane-devel] Visioneer Onetouch 4400 USB (Visioneer/Primax Primascan Colorado 2600u, Memorex 6142u)

Keith Watson kpwatson@ukfsn.org
Wed, 3 Dec 2003 14:57:16 +0000

Well, no-one else has stepped forward to say they are working on this device, so
it looks like if I want a backend for it then... I'm it! :o)

I suspect it may share the same chipset as some other devices which people are
working on (see below) so I might not have as much to do as I'd thought (hope
springs eternal...).

I've been in touch with the Visioneer technical department and not had any luck
so far but have started an e-mail conversation with one of their technical bods
(who seems quite interested) so one for the back burner. ;o)

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 13:15:15 +0100
"Jaeger, Gerhard" <gerhard@gjaeger.de> wrote:
> I'm pretty shure, that the Visioneer 4400 does not contain a LM983x ASIC.
> I checked some logs in spring this year, and there it turned out to be a
> GeneSysLogic based device, at least containing a GL 640 bridge. The
> ASIC is unknown to me, probably one of those E... ones - maybe Steven
> Ellis knows more...

Thanks for the feedback and info Gerhard.  Now all I've got to find out is what
ASIC means. :o) (an Epson site I've just Googled says it means
"Application-Specific Integrated Circuit")

The general opinion seems to be that the Visioneer Onetouch 4400 USB (V1T4400U
for short) is also retailed as;
 - Visioneer Primascan Colorado 2600u
 - Primax Primascan Colorado 2600u
 - Memorex 6142u

Anyone working on any of these?

My output for  /proc/bus/usb/devices and sane-find-scanner -v -v is identical to
that mentioned on the unsupported scanner web page.  Which also suggests that
the USB Descriptor looks similar to the;
 - Genius Colorpage Vivid III (USB)
and
 - Pacific Image Electronics (PIE) Primefilm 1800u

I know that Alexander Feldman is working on the Primefilm 1800u (hi Alex, if
you're reading this, I may be in touch real soon now :o) ) and someone said at
the end of June this year that they were considering writing a backend for the
Genius Colorpage. So they might be lines worth pursuing.

There is some speculation about whether the device uses the E1, E3 or E5
chipset.  Can anyone point me to a place where I can read up on what the
significance of E1, E3 and E5 is?

Are there any good places to read up on scanner hardware technology in general
so I've got at least some idea what's going on?

Is the next step to get hold of something called a USB snooper? (I've got some
links but recommendations are welcome). I'd appreciate a pointer to some info on
how this is used.

Right, I've got a whole load of stuff off the SANE web site which I need to read
and the SANE docs directory to dig around in.

BRB! :o)

Keith