[sane-devel] Sane only available to Super User - Canon FP330P

Kim L. Mantle kimbo@xtra.co.nz
Mon, 15 Dec 2003 19:22:37 +1300

Matthew

Many thanks for your advice.

I have taken heed of your advice and completed those changes to the
canon_pp.conf file and all works sweetly.

Tell me though Matthew - is option 2 an option, as such, or can the =
changes
be made in conjunction with Till's suggestion plus your amendment =
(option
1)?

Kind regards

Kimbo

-----Original Message-----
From: Matthew Duggan [mailto:stauff@guarana.org]=20
Sent: Monday, 15 December 2003 10:57 a.m.
To: Kim L. Mantle
Cc: sane-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org
Subject: Re: [sane-devel] Sane only available to Super User - Canon =
FP330P

On Sat, Dec 13, 2003 at 08:47:48PM +1300, Kim L. Mantle wrote:
> I have MandrakeLinux 9.2.
>=20
> For the past month or so I have had great difficulty trying to find=20
> out why Xsane would only recognise 'Super User' and not 'Normal User'.
>=20
> I have made sure on each occasion I have re-installed 9.2 that there=20
> is only one installation of Sane. I have then installed/upgraded (Sane
Backends 1.0.12-5mdk) - also used the version on the Distro's CDs - and =
then
Xsane and also tried it the other way around. But each time I get the
message 'No Device found' when using 'Normal User' - yet when I use =
'Super
User' - bang... in comes Xsane and I am also then able to use Gimp.

There are two options to fix this:

1. You can set up saned as Till suggested (this may also yield speed=20
improvements) however, by default the canon_pp backend saves data in=20
the home directory of the user running the program, and saned runs as=20
root, so you may wish to consider changing this line from canon_pp.conf:
-
calibrate ~/.sane/canon_pp-calibration-pp0 parport0
-
to something like this:
-
calibrate /var/sane/canon_pp-calibration
-
Leave off the port name too, because there's a bug with the way the =
canon_pp
backend handles port names from saned.

2. The canon_pp backend uses the correct kernel methods to access the
parallel port, however you still need to give your non-super-user =
account
access.  To do this, check the permissions on=20
/dev/parport0 with "ls -l /dev/parport0".  On a Debian system it=20
will be something like:
-
crw-rw----    1 root     lp        99,   0 Jun 15  2002 /dev/parport0
-
The letters at the front means that it's a character device, readable =
and
writable by the owner user, and readable and writable by the owner =
group.
In this case the owner user is "root" (aka superuser) and owner=20
group is "lp".  I assume Mandrake is similar in this respect..

To give your regular user access to this port, you can add yourself to =
the
"lp" group by typing this at the root (superuser) prompt:
-
adduser my_normal_username lp
-

Then if you log out and back in, you will be part of the lp group and =
should
be able to access the parallel port.

Cheers,

- Matthew Duggan