[sane-devel] proposal for inclusion of 'niash' backend
Mon, 22 Dec 2003 16:23:10 +0100
On Sun, Dec 21, 2003 at 11:55:30PM +0100, Bertrik Sikken wrote:
> The sources are currently licensed under GPL.
Could you change this to GPL + SANE exception? That's what the other
backends use so it easier for us. If that's not possible for some
reason, GPL only should also be ok (other opinions?).
> Project page is at:
> Sources can be found at:
At least the CZ mirror didn't have that file. I had to be very quick
to change the mirror setting before that FTP server responded with its
error message :-)
> Can the sane maintainers have a look at it and see what's
> needed to have this included into sane?
* niash.desc should go into doc/descriptions/ (not backend/)
* don't add your backend to backend/Makefile.in but to configure.in
* niash.conf: it's commented out, but anyway: nowerdays
/dev/usb/scanner* seems to be prefered over /dev/usbscanner* on Linux.
* Compilation doesn't work. First error:
niash_xfer.c:26: error: parse error before '/' token
Please don't use "//" comments.
Test you code with the CVS version of sane-backends. You should see
the errors and warnings there. At least if you use gcc.
* Check the syntax of you .desc file. It's outdated (missing/wrong
status & version). When you put it in the right place, make will
complain (or at least warn) about the issues.
* manpage: have a look at the other manpages for the headers (package
* niash.c (probably other files):
Please alway include config.h first.
* c files: run "indent -gnu" over all these files so our coding styles
don't diverge more then they already do
* check your backend with frontend/tstbackend.c. It ususally finds
quite some bugs.
* With the CVS version, try ./configure --enable-static ; make ; make libcheck
Libraries exporting 'illegal' symbols:
00000590 T CalcGamma
000019e0 T CircBufferExit
00001610 T CircBufferGetLine
00001720 T CircBufferInit
00000040 T DumpHex
000022d0 T FinishScan
00001d70 T GetLamp
000010b0 T InitScan
00002300 T MatchUsbDevice
00000500 T NiashClose
00000370 T NiashOpen
00002880 T NiashReadBulk
000026c0 T NiashReadReg
00002980 T NiashWakeup
00002770 T NiashWriteBulk
00002600 T NiashWriteReg
00002540 T NiashXferClose
000023f0 T NiashXferInit
00002490 T NiashXferOpen
00001a50 T ScanLines
000000a0 D ScannerModels
00001db0 T SetLamp
00001e20 T SimpleCalib
00001e50 T SimpleCalibExt
00000104 D usb_devfile
000006c0 T WriteGammaCalibTable
All of them should be most probably static.
* Don't forget to update AUTHORS and doc/sane.man.
I haven't read all of the code obviously and can't really test because
I don't own one of the supported scanners.
You should get an account on alioth so you can change your backend in
If you don't like to make the initial commit yourself, I or another
developer can do it.