[sane-devel] libusb doesn't seem to work

Sat, 27 Dec 2003 00:43:37 +0100

Hi,

On Fri, Dec 26, 2003 at 01:47:19PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> device `plustek:libusb:002:002' is a Epson Perfection 1250/Photo USB flatbed scanner

Ok, so the plustek backends detects it.

> That was the magic twanger!  I removed the /dev/usb/scanner0 from the
> plustek.conf and it works.  Ditto for the epkowa.conf?  Lemme check,
> brb.  Took the device out, put in a [usb], but that didn't help.  And
> the [usb] apparently doesn't mean anything to iscan, it still cannot
> find it.  Even with the device line active, no go for the iscan front
> end.  Sp presently, the only way to see the iscan backend (epkowa) is
> to go back to useing the kernels usb scanner module.  And then its
> only the iscan frontend that can find it.

I have no idea if epkowa uses libusb if it's available.

> Yes, as well as net, leo, epkowa, plustek, test, v4l and I just added
> v4l2.  Don't think there is a .conf for that though. Nope. :(  Has
> one of those been written yet?

There is a v4l2 backend, but it's not included in sane-backends. And I
don't think that it's the same v4l v2 that recently got added to the
Linux kernel. That backend is quite old.

> >Which kind of devices are they? sane-find-scanner prints everything
> >that doesn't identify itsself as printer, disc, keyboard etc.
> > because there is no "scanner" class.
>
> I see.  libusb doesn't use the header scanner.h from the kernel
> sources?  That seems like a worthwhile file move to me...  Its a
> pretty extensive listing of scanners vs vendor/prod numbers.

I know, it's written by me (partly) :-)

The idea of sane-find-scanner is to detect every scanner, even new
ones. scanner.h can only list old ones and doesn't even completely
fulfil this task.

> One is a Logitek ClickSmart 310 usb camera, which I keep hopeing
> someone will do a driver for, its some sort of an elcheepo spc
> chipset, and there is a Radio Shack sourced PL-2303 usb-seriel
> convertor, whose driver they say is solid, but which I'm having
> serious flow control and or parity problems with, not sure which.
> And attempted sz to an automatic but slower rz target dumps the first
> kilobyte and dies trying to correct errors.  Not really germain to
> this problem anyway.

Ok, for the camera it's ok to have not calss. But I'm a bit surprised
that that usb-seriel converter is a generic device.