[sane-devel] avision: Out of memory

Rene Rebe rene.rebe@gmx.net
Thu, 06 Feb 2003 01:24:37 +0100 (CET)

Hi.

On: Tue, 04 Feb 2003 21:52:59 +0100,
    abel deuring <adeuring@gmx.net> wrote:
> Henning Meier-Geinitz wrote:
> > Hi,
> > =

> > On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 11:29:04AM +0100, Patrick Begou wrote:
> > =

> >>$ sane-find-scanner
> >>found SCSI scanner "HP ScanJet 5370C 6.00" at /dev/scanner
> >>found SCSI scanner "HP ScanJet 5370C 6.00" at /dev/sg2
> >>found SCSI scanner "HP ScanJet 5370C 6.00" at /dev/sgc
> [...]
> >>I did this also. All seems to work fine  until get_calib_format wic=
> >>returns Out of Memory (see attached file).
> >>I have 256 MBytes RAM and 128 Mbytes of (unused) swap but I dont't =
think
> >>the problem is here. Something that the driver could not understand=
 with
> >>my software configuration ?
> > =

> > =

> >>[avision] get_calib_data: type 62, size 167076, line_size: 167076
> >>[avision] get_calib_data: read data failed (Out of memory)
> > =

> > =

> > The backend tries to get 167076 bytes of data at once. Tht doesn't
> > seem to work with the hp5300 driver (or your kernel). I think the
> > default buffer size is 128k. =

> =

> Right. As I understand it, the 5370C uses some sort of USB/SCSI =

> translation. sanei_scsi_req_enter2 (more precisely, the SG driver of =
the =

> Linux kernel) can return "out of memory" errors. If a Sane frontend i=
s =

> run with SANE_DEBUG_SANEI_SCSI=3D255, a debug message like =

> "sanei_scsi.issue: SG_BIG_BUF inconsistency?" should be printed. (whi=
ch =

> we should update, BTW. SG_BIG_BUF does not caused problems since quit=
e =

> some time.)
> =

> Anyway, the backend really should not try to send more data than =

> suggested by sanei_scsi_max_request_size.

I have no choise, since there are firmware bugs, that do not allow to
read the calibration data in several tiny chunks for (some Avision)
USB devices ... - And this ever worked for me here ...

Btw. It would ne nice to CC the backend maintainer, since I currently
only have the time to read over sane-* one a week or so ...

> Abel

- Ren=E9

--  =

Ren=E9 Rebe - Europe/Germany/Berlin