[sane-devel] Brother MFC 6800

Fernando Trias fernando@pedestalsoftware.com
Mon, 17 Feb 2003 10:40:03 -0500

Folks,

I've got a Brother MFC 6800 multi-function printer/scanner/fax and plan
to do some work on the scanning backend of sane. I already got
information from Dmitri Katchalov, who has done a lot of work to
decipher the proprietary protocol.

I have one question (so far):

The USB device provides three interfaces. The first one is the printer
and the second one is the scanner.

However, I'm having problems with sane even looking at the device.
Perhaps I'm misreading the code, but it seems that there are a few
problems for this device.

First, in sanei_usb_init(), the part that enumerates USB devices with
libusb only looks at the first interface, which in the case of this
device is the printer (class 7, USB_CLASS_PRINTER), whereas the scanner
is on interface 2 and is class 0xff (USB_CLASS_VENDOR_SPECIFIC).

Perhaps sane could enumerate the interfaces and test each one?

Second, kernel_get_vendor_product() is unable to get the Vendor and
Product ids. The calls to ioctl() all fail. So even if I create a link
in /dev/usb/scanner (or whatever), I can't get it identified.

Any ideas?

Another question: is there any consumer-oriented multi-function
printer/scanner/fax that is supported by sane?

Fernando