[sane-devel] Mustek 600 not detected

Greg Trounson gregt@maths.otago.ac.nz
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 14:30:36 +1300

Gidday,

I am trying to get my evil CIS scanner (Parallel port Mustek 600 CP)
running under Linux.

According to Eddy DeGreef's page
(http://home.tiscali.be/eddy_de_greef/Sane/),

"A new Mustek parallel port backend with the latest CIS driver has been
included in the official SANE distribution as of version 1.0.10
(February, 2003). There is no more need to patch the official
distribution to get a CIS scanner to work. "

I downloaded and compiled sane-backend 1.0.10, but was somewhat troubled
to find this in the Changelog:

"replaced the old mustek_pp backend with
            version 12-alpha. This version fully supports CIS scanners but
            removes support for 600dpi CCD scanners and the 300dpi CCD
            support isn't yet working."

This seems to go against what was written at Eddy's site (it seems the
'latest version' he is referring to is 1.0.10):

" Several people have reported calibration problems with the 600CP
(resulting in over-exposed images) with the older versions of the driver
(while it seemed to work for others). The latest version should solve
these problems (confirmed by several 600CP owners)."

Nevertheless, I installed sane, and made the configuration changes
outlined at http://www.jkelloggs.dk/en/linux/mustek_pp_cis.htm (sans
patches, which I'm told are unnecessary as of sane-1.0.10).

Now when I run scanimage -L, I get my LeadTek TV Tuner card as a v4L
device, and that's it.  No scanner.  I comment out the 'v4l' line in
/etc/sane.d/dll.conf, and get 'no scanners found'.

Am I doing something wrong, or has the 600 CIS series been totally
disabled in version 1.0.10.  If so, what version of sane should I use
that does support it?

many thanks,
Greg