[sane-devel] Putting a scan into a tiff file

Andrea Suatoni a.suatoni@telefonica.net
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 01:58:13 +0100

Henning Meier-Geinitz wrote:

> > Saving the scanned input into a tiff file will generate a
> > corrupt tiff file. This is independent from the scanner
> > model and/or scanning gray/color.
>
> It's very unlikely that breakage like that goes unnoticed for a longer
> time. Which scanners/backends do you use?

Unfortunately, the original poster is right. I'm using XSane 0.90 and
sane-backends 1.0.11, on IRIX, with a HP 6300C scanner connected via SCSI (hp
backend, hence). The TIFF file is effectively corrupted, as none of the tools
(either free or commercial) I have available on my SGI box is able to open the
file (not even the classic libtiff command line tools).

But: it occurred only on my first run! Using the test backend, with many
options, and then reverting to the hp backend, I was not able to reproduce the
problem. Out of curiosity, and time permitting, I'll try to investigate where
exactly the broken TIFF file is corrupted. If the XSane author is interested,
I can send him the broken file (half a megabyte).

Andrea