[sane-devel] Restarting scanner

Sat, 22 Feb 2003 11:19:24 +0100

Hi,

On Fri, Feb 21, 2003 at 09:04:03PM +0200, Nigel Ridley wrote:
> I just joined the list so please forgive me if this has already been
> discussed (I did check the archives but didn't find anything):
> I am running Libranet 2.7 (Debian based), kernel 2.4.19, Xsane 0.90 and
> have a Benq 4300U flatbed scanner.

Which version of sane-backends (scanimage --version)?

> I am using Snapscan with firmware u176v046.bin. Sane is located in
> /usr/share/sane and I have an entry for the scanner in /dev/usb/scanner0.

At least with current versions of the snapscan backend, you don't need
to specify a fixed location of the scanner device in snapscan.conf  (but its
vendor/product ids):

usb 0x04a5 0x20b0

> Everything works ok but if I unplug the scanner, either the power or the
> USB, then when I try to start Xscan again it can't find the *device*. I
> have to re-boot the computer to get it to work again (something which I
> loathe to do).

I guess after unplugging you plug-in the scanner again? :-) Is it
found by the system? I.e. does cat /proc/bus/usb/devices list it? Is
it found by sane-find-scanner? What is printed in syslog
(/var/log/messages) when the scanner is unplugged and plugged in
again?

I have two ideas about that problem:
a) The scanner is detected again after the replugging, but as
/dev/usb/scanner1.
or
b) The kernel scanner module crashes for some reason and doesn't
detect you scanner again. That can happen when you unmplug your
scanner while scanning an image.