[sane-devel] HP5400 backend progress

Martijn van Oosterhout Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org>
Tue, 25 Feb 2003 00:33:53 +1100

--aT9PWwzfKXlsBJM1

On Sun, Feb 23, 2003 at 11:54:47PM +0100, Henning Meier-Geinitz wrote:
> I recommend to use the infrastructure that's already present in the
> sane-backends package. If you make your own package without using
> configure and the makefiles from sane-backends, you'll need quite
> some tricks. E.g. there must be symbold like sane_init, otherwise you
> can't link to a shered lib directly. On the other hand, if you link
> statically, you can't use sane_init, because you would have thirty
> backends with the same symbols :-)
>=20
> Further more, despite the library name sane-hp5400.so, the internal so
> name must be libsane.so, otherwise linking won't work. We use a
> modified libtool for this trick.

Ok, I see the problems. I looked hoping to find a Makefile fragment I can
include but it seems I need to modify the sane Makefile.in and run configure
again. Not quite as stright forward as I hoped. Is there a better way?

Oddly enough it's sane-debug.h that renaming all my functions in the
library. Very odd.

> You must set them yourself, if you don't use the sane-backends package.
> In sane-backends, it's set by configure and the compiler gets it by -D
> command line options.

Same in my Makefile except I obviously picked the wrong values. Looks like I
need to learn how to use those test tools.

--=20
> Support bacteria! They're the only culture some people have.

--aT9PWwzfKXlsBJM1

--aT9PWwzfKXlsBJM1--