[sane-devel] backend naming conventions/constraints

Thu, 27 Feb 2003 11:45:30 +0100

Hi,

On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 09:16:35AM +0900, Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:
> Yup, backends/Makefile.in uses
>
>   %-s.lo: %-s.c
>           @$(LIBTOOL) $(MCOMP) $(COMPILE) -DSTUBS -DBACKEND_NAME=$* $<
>
>   %.lo:   %.c
>           @$(LIBTOOL) $(MCOMP) $(COMPILE) -DBACKEND_NAME=$* \
>                 -DLIBDIR=$(libsanedir) $<
>
> So using epson-kowa.c screws things up.  However, I only have one
> backend to build with "Image Scan!" so I could hack around this.
> Either in Makefile.in or in my source file.

Yes, but isn't you backend used together with other frontends?

> BTW, is there any reason the build system is not updated to reflect
> the improved capabilities of libtool?  It pretty much seems to be
> based on libtool-1.0 or so, while the current version is 1.4.

Libtool in SANE is 1.4.3. Can you explain the "improved capabilities"
in more detail? We usually only update libtool if absolutely necessary
because it requires manual inclusion of our local changes. And I
hesitate to change anything in backend/Makefile.in if I don't fully
understand the implications :-)

> > Why don't you use "libsane-epson_kowa" or "libsane-epsonkowa"?
>
> Apart from esthetics and readability?  Guess not, so it boils down to
> whether I think it's worth the trouble.

The other backends that use more than one "word" use "_" (e.g.
mustek_usb).