[sane-devel] Hewllet Packard 4300c Scanner

Yago diazdeus at ono.com
Mon Feb 3 15:18:41 GMT 2003

Hi to all. I have an HP 4300c USB scanner and I know this scanner don't have
Linux support, also no SANE support.

Through the SANE Home Page links now I know that I need the "SANE backends for
flatbed scanners with the NIASH chipset" for to work with my scanner. The
installation of this packet that suppose:

"In order to properly build SANE with the NIASH backend, you should remove any
previously installed version of SANE and all related packages (thanks to
Harman Nagra for pointing this out)".

But if I want to remove my SANE packet (is the sane-backends-1.0.9-3.1mdk and
sane-frontends-1.0.9-1.1mdk) I need to remove also this software:

libsane1-1.0.9-3.1mdk
libsane-devel-1.0.9-3.1mdk
xsane-0.90-1.1mdk
xsane-gimp-0.90-1.1mdk

And the dependencies that suppose remove also:

kdegraphics-3.0.3-11mdk
kdegraphics-devel-3.0.3-11mdk
kdevelop-2.1.3-6mdk
koffice-1.2-3mdk
koffice-devel-1.2-3mdk
koffice-i18n-es-1.2-1mdk

So I don't know if after to delete all this software I will to use KDE,
Koffice and some any other aplications with liasions with that ones.

I have a Mandrake 9.0 distro with 2.4.19 Kernel version with the USB module
charged at init (UHCI) and the sane-find-scanner returns that:

# No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure that
# you have loaded a SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.
found USB scanner (vendor=0x03f0, product=0x0305) at /dev/usb/scanner0
found USB scanner (vendor=0x03f0, product=0x0305) at /dev/usbscanner
found USB scanner (vendor=0x03f0, product=0x0305) at /dev/usbscanner0
found USB scanner (vendor=0x03f0 [Hewlett-Packard], product=0x0305
[Hewlett-Packard ScanJet 4300C]) at libusb:001:002
# A USB device was detected. This program can't be sure if it's really
# a scanner. If it is your scanner, it may or may not be supported by
# Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports can't be
# detected by this program.

I need help and I am new in all that Linux scanner stories . Thanks to all.