[sane-devel] Scanimage failure with HP ScanJet 7450C

Rene Rebe rene.rebe at gmx.net
Sat Feb 8 09:42:51 GMT 2003

I have a lent hp 7450 here and work on the ADF code.

But normal scanning works just fine with the latest release from:

The web locations:

  - SANE/Avision homepage:
    http://drocklinux.dyndns.org/rene/avision/

  - Sourcecode:
    http://www.rocklinux.org/people/rene/sane/src/

  - Patches:
    http://www.rocklinux.org/people/rene/sane/patches/

  - Incremental patches:
    http://www.rocklinux.org/people/rene/sane/patches/incremental/

  - Precompiled binary:
    http://www.rocklinux.org/people/rene/sane/patches/bin

  - Possible mirror sites:
    http://www.rocklinux.de/people/rene/sane/
    http://www2.rocklinux.org/people/rene/sane/

On: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 17:37:12 -0800,
    TomF <TomF at sjpc.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Feb 2003 09:53:46 +0100
> Henning Meier-Geinitz <henning at meier-geinitz.de> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 03:29:06PM -0800, TomF wrote:
> > > I installed xsane-0.84-8.i386.rpm, xsane-gimp-0.84-8.i3
> > > 86.rpm, sane-backends-1.0.8-5 from the Redhat 8.0 CDs, and found
> > > SCSI scanner "hp scanjet 7400c 0.8S" at device /dev/scanner for my
> > > HP ScanJet 7450C, which is connected by USB.
>
> A scanimage --test appears to have executed correctly.
>
> When I execute scanimage -d avision:/dev/scanner --format tiff >
> image2.tiff, it hangs at the end of scanning a page.  Eventually it
> finishes, but the scanning light does not return to its home position,
> and stays on for hours.  While it is in this state, executing the
> scanimage command again produces an invalid parameter message.  I have
> to power off to reset the scanner.  When I bring the system back up, I
> can repeat the entire scenario.
>
> The image2.tiff file is 30 MB.  When I open it with an image view a
> completely black image is displayed.  The scanner works in Windows XP
> without problems.
>

> > Have a look at the other threads on avision + USB scanner that
> > appeared on sane-devel during the last days. While the symptoms are
> > diffe rent, maybe it's the same problem? As requested by the backend
> > author, can you send a copy of your mail to him ("Rene Rebe"
> > <rene.rebe at gmx.net>)?
> >
> > Bye,
> >   Henning
>

> In the sane-devel threads I found a reference to a FAQ, where I found:
>
> "Now when your scanner is recognized, do a
>
> cat /proc/bus/usb/drivers
>
> This should give you something like
>
>          usbdevfs
>          hub
>          hid
>  48- 63: usbscanner"
>

> After verifying that the HP ScanJet 7400c was recognized, I issued the
> command.  Instead, I got:
>
>          usbdevfs
>          hub
>  96-111: hiddev
>          hid
>          hpusbscsi
>   0- 15: usblp
>
> "You might need to use /dev/usb/scanner0 instead of /dev/usbscanner."
>
> /dev/usb/scanner0 exists, but
>
> [root at localhost Tom]# ls -l /dev/scanner
> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            8 Nov  4 20:57 /dev/scanner ->
> /dev/sgf[root at localhost Tom]# ls -l /dev/sgf
> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            3 Nov  4 12:23 /dev/sgf -> sg5
> [root at localhost Tom]# ls -l /dev/sg5
> crw-------    1 Tom      root      21,   5 Aug 30 16:31 /dev/sg5
>
> seems to indicate that the scanner configuration does not point to it.
> Is there something else I need to do to connect the scanner to
> /dev/usb/scanner0?  Am I going in the right direction?

- René

--
René Rebe - Europe/Germany/Berlin
e-mail:   rene.rebe at gmx.net, rene at rocklinux.org