[sane-devel] HP5470c scanner nearly working!

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at svana.org
Wed Feb 19 22:52:16 GMT 2003

[Please CC any replies so I can more easily find them through the rest of my
mail. Thanks.]

I finally got totally sick of waiting for someone to make my scanner work,
so I did it myself. The results are on my webpage:
http://svana.org/kleptog/hp5470/. I'm doing it over USB.

Situation is:
1. It finds the scanner and warms up the lamp
2. It performs two calibrations scans like in windows
3. Performs the preview scan and dumps it to disk

This is only a test program, not a backend. Things still to do:
1. Actually use results of calibration scans. Anyone who has an idea how
scanners are calibrated, point me at some info, please.
2. Do gamma correction. Right now the gamma correction is linear. Again,
someone who knows the theory would be helpful here.
3. Decipher data format. Looks pretty straight forward. R, G, B seperate.
4. Work out the parameters for the different scan types (B&W, 24-bit, etc).
5. Turn it into a SANE backend. Hopefully this will not be hard.
6. Make negative/slide addon work.

Hopefully not far to go now. If anyone can test my code it would be much
appreciated. Note this version produces a *lot* of debug info. Please send
it all for bug reports. Thanks.

I'd like to thank Bertrik Sikken for doing some of the ground work.

Have a nice day,
--
Martijn van Oosterhout   <kleptog at svana.org>   http://svana.org/kleptog/