[sane-devel] usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout

Thu, 2 Jan 2003 20:47:20 +0100

Hi,

On Thu, Jan 02, 2003 at 10:55:56AM -0800, Bill Moseley wrote:
> Still same problem, and I still see the "usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout"
> messages and xsane always fails with an I/O error.

The default timeout is 10 seconds, and it's expected to be enough for
writes. You can try to increase this limit when loading the driver:

rmmod scanner; modprobe scanner read_timeout=60

for a timeout of 60 seconds.

If this doesn't help, or you get more of these messages or if you get
"excessive NAK's received" this is a sign for real errors. E.g.
defective cables or defective hardware. Maybe also problems in the USB
layer can cause this error, but I don't remember this being reported.

If you have a UHCI host controller, try using the "uhci" instead of
the "usb-uhci" module and vice versa.

> I decided to reboot and I get about five or six "usb_control/bulk_msg:
> timeout" messages during the boot process (the boot process pauses for
> each message).

That's suspicious because it means that it doesn't happen on bulk
messages but on control messages to get the device descriptors from
your scanner. So it's either a hardware or a kernel problem.

> Then before sane will detect my scanner I have to remove/replace the USB
> cable to the scanner one time.  That is, it's not correctly loaded at boot
> for some reason.

Maybe a hotplug issue. Is the scanner listed in /proc/bus/usb/devices
immediately after boot?

> BTW -- I assume this is known.  These are all generated each time I start
> up the scanner program (10:32:2* is the time, if not obvious).
>
> $ fgrep '10:32:2' /var/log/syslog | grep open_scanner | wc -l
>     465

Well, which message do you mean? "scanner.c: open_scanner(1): Unable
to access minor data"? This is ok, the scanner module is just a bit
verbose. The message won't be printed in the next kernel version (I
hope).