[sane-devel] saned/Epson problems - second try

John Coppens jcoppens@usa.net
Sat, 4 Jan 2003 18:07:58 -0300

On Sat, 4 Jan 2003 15:46:00 +0100
Henning Meier-Geinitz <henning@meier-geinitz.de> wrote:

> For me it really looks like the old race condition bug in saned.

Just went to the Foundation's offices to do a few tests, but things were
rather hectic, and I couldn't get access to the scanner computer.

I can assure though, that no different versions are installed as you
suspected. I just installed Linux on the machine, after formatting, and
just in case, I ran locate saned. It is version 1.0.9... And xsane is
version 0.89.

Being a bit bored, I logged in remotely, and started
xsane --display:etcetc from the server (Isn't Linux great?). Anyway, it
was not an easy way to do many tests, but I did discover something
worthwhile, I think:

When the 'Invalid Argument' error appears (always if not logged as root)
when changing modes, you can make it go away by opening the preferences
window, and closing it again (no 'apply' or anything. Just open/close).
The mode change then works (once).

Then I could lay my hands on the (president's) Windows machine, and
installed Xsane Win32 - version 0.90... Works a charm! No problems at all,
and he was very impressed at being being able to use the scanner of
another machine.

Now, why can't xsane on the Linux machine do the same?

John

(I'll do some more tests next visit to the Foundation's offices...)