[sane-devel] Re: usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout

Bill Moseley moseley@hank.org
Sun, 5 Jan 2003 14:51:00 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 5 Jan 2003, A E Lawrence wrote:

> Ok. That looks ok. There are some other timeouts in usb.c. It might be
> worth experimenting with those values. Just search on the strings `timeout'
> and `TIMEOUT'. But at a quick glance, there seems to be only one place that
> the "usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout" is generated, and it looked as if that
> was always controlled by GET_TIMEOUT. So I don't understand why you didn't
> see a change. Maybe that code gets called somewhere else with a different
> timeout value passed in.

Yes, seems odd that the timeout didn't change.  The modules are getting
installed, I checked.

I'll post my CONFIG_USB config below in case I'm doing something dumb.
Regardless, seems like my problem (timeouts reported and and frontends
returned I/O errors) is in software -- likely usb code I'd think.

I just dropped in a new drive into this machine and installed Windows XP.
The scanner works without any problems, so it looks like it's not my USB
hardware or the scanner or cable.  Although It might be that XP has a
work-around for something in my USB hardware.  Hard to know.

Sure takes a lot longer to install Windows on an 80GB drive than it takes
to install Debian.  Just wish my fonts under X looked that good.  No
wonder Apple's are so popular these days, nice UI on the outside and nice
bsd on the inside...

Here's my config.

moseley@bumby:~$ fgrep USB /usr/src/linux/.config | grep '=y'
CONFIG_USB_DEVICEFS=y