[sane-devel] Re: Sane on Ultra Sparc

Dr. Ing. Dieter Jurzitza dieter.jurzitza@t-online.de
Sat, 11 Jan 2003 18:43:52 +0100 (CET)

Hello Thomas,
hello all,
I think you've got me wrong. This define __SPARC_ARCH__ was only an
*assumption* of mine. In fact, I am sure this define does *not* exist. Maybe I
wasn't clear enough.

But according to Thomas's discovery one could say __sparc__ instead.
The question that ought to be answered by Abel (?) is whether it makes sense to
globally switch to the old interface for sparc for the sake of simplicity - I
do not know how big is the performance impact of this.

Whoever maintains the code should decide about the best way to do this (Abel?),
I would appreciate to send a patch to SuSE and so on to allow them to make
things work in their distribution.

Nevertheless, there is my offer: if there is someone willing (having the time
:-) to do so) to find out what is really going on (going wrong...) I am willing
to test and to offer time for testing. This is all I can do for now.

I am asking whether there is anywhere a declaration within the gcc-header files
(or some kernel call, or whatsoever ...) that could be used as above for Ultra
only. I personally do not know - but maybe someone on the list does.

Maybe one could check that in the configure script - do not ask me to do
this, configure is something quite strange for me.

So to conclude:
1.) the short term solution is at hand, looking forward to the new
AMD processors right in front of the door and the 64bit linux on the horizon
this issue should be expected to come up once again. If someone wants to try a
little harder, come back to me - I'll test.

2.) let me know how to include into the code - I mean I can do right now, but I
would prefer to be compliant with the solution you are heading for - just for
readability and maintainability.

Thanks alot,

take care

Dieter Jurzitza

P.S. Schönes Wochenende!

****

E-Mail: Dr. Ing. Dieter Jurzitza <dieter.jurzitza@t-online.de>
Date: 11-Jan-2003
Time: 18:24:55                 |
                                \

if you really want to see the pictures above - use some font
with constant spacing like courier! :-)