[sane-devel] [ANN] Plustek Backend update V0.45-1

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter@gmx.net
Sat, 11 Jan 2003 19:12:39 +0100

Thgank you for the update. I am preparing an official update for
Mandrake Linux 9.0 now, to preven the Epson 1260 Photo scanners of
Mandrake 9.0 users from being damaged.

I have tested your update with my Epson Perfection 1260 Photo (it
survived the driver version shipped with SANE 1.0.9 without needing to
turn it off) and it works well. Only problem is the model
auto-detection. It is way too slow. I have a tip to make it faster:

When you run "sane-find-scanner", it needs about a second after failing
with the SCSI search to find the scanner's USB ID's. And if I mention
the USB ID's directly in plustek.conf, xsane needs about a second to
start. So I recommend that you let the auto-detection part of the
plustek driver call the library function which "sane-find-scanner" uses
to determine the USB ID. Then the driver can probe this ID directly and
so it gets access to the scanner in two seconds instead of two minutes.

WDYT?

    Till