[sane-devel] Re: Sane on Ultra Sparc

abel deuring a.deuring@satzbau-gmbh.de
Sat, 11 Jan 2003 20:32:21 +0100

T. Ribbrock wrote:

>>The question that ought to be answered by Abel (?) is whether it
>>makes sense to globally switch to the old interface for sparc for
>>the sake of simplicity - I do not know how big is the performance
>>impact of this.
>=20
>=20
> Performance is only one issue - you mention the other one below: 64bit
> will come back to bite... :-} Not only in the x86 arena, also on the
> Sun market - the prices of second hand UltraSparcs are dropping and
> among them are quite a few nice machines to play around with at
> home...:-)

For a long term solution, we'll need support from the kernel developers. =

The fact that Sane uses the write/read interface to access SG devices=20
makes things indeed a bit difficult. Generally, the write and read=20
functions should not change the data in any way, but for the SG=20
interface, the situation is different. When the SG3 interface is used,=20
the SG driver needs to know, if the data was passed from a 32 bit or a=20
64 bit application in order to properly deal with the pointers passed as =

the read / write data.

Abel

>>P.S. Sch=F6nes Wochenende!
>=20