[sane-devel] scanimage cannot open any backends: weird error message

Sat, 11 Jan 2003 23:05:49 +0100

Hi,

On Sat, Jan 11, 2003 at 04:48:25PM +0100, fis@gmx.li wrote:
> I have just installed sane-1.0.9 and am encountering the following
> situation:
>
> > # sane-find-scanner
> > sane-find-scanner: found USB scanner (vendor = 0x05d8, product = 0x4003) at device /dev/usb/scanner0
>
> (this is probably good.)
>
> > # scanimage -v -d test -T
> > scanimage: open of device test failed: Invalid argument
>
> (this is probably bad.)

Yes. This means that SANE 1.0.9 wasn't properly installed (or the
test backend wasn't installed for some reason). Try
"scanimage --version". If either version isn't 1.0.9, something went
wrong during install.

You can also check with
SANE_DEBUG_DLL=255 scanimage -L
if the libraries (test in this case) are loaded correctly.

> I should add that I added the tevion9693usb backend from
> http://www.angelfire.com/linux/crapsite/, which is alpha, but I acted
> precisely as told in the instructions and if I am correct this backend
> is not even touched in what I am doing.  (For 'scanimage -d
> tevion9693usb' the symptoms are the same, however.)

The above debug messages should also list the tevion backend being
loaded.

> I am using the scanner kernel module in version 2.4.18.  I haven't
> done anything about the device node permissions, but I am doing
> everything as root.

It's found by sane-find-scanner so your kernel is probably ok.

Concerning your remark in irc: The gt68xx backend won't work.