[sane-devel] [ANN] Plustek Backend update V0.45-1

Gene Heskett gene_heskett@iolinc.net
Sun, 12 Jan 2003 13:41:16 -0500

On Sunday 12 January 2003 06:22, Henning Meier-Geinitz wrote:
>Hi,
>
>On Sat, Jan 11, 2003 at 09:55:05PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Just one thing about using that preferences menu.  The builtin
>> no activity timeout shuts it (xsane and company) down in about
>> 30 seconds, making it hard to study the menu's and adjust
>> anything before xsane goes away.  Can this be reset somehow to
>> say 5 minutes?
>
>Which "builtin no activity timeout"? Is this plustek-specific? At
>least with other backends (e.g. test) there is no such thing as
> far as I know.

Beats me Henning.  All I can report is that if there is no initial
activity, the whole thing goes away in a bit over a minute
Well I was gonna include the capture but debug = 255 so let me
cancel that first.  here is a screen clip after setting the debug
off:
[root@coyote tmp]# time xsane
[sanei_debug] Setting debug level of epson to 0.
Alarm clock

real    1m3.704s
user    0m0.530s
sys     0m0.540s
[root@coyote tmp]#

My guess is that the nearly 4 seconds is the delay in my choosing
the plustek backend before it started.  One must start a scan
within this time frame or it goes away.  Other messing around with
the menu's doesn't reset the timer.

Maybe this is something Oliver does in xsane?  I don't know.  As a
test of that, I've left xsanimage sitting there after chooseing the
plustek backend.  Effectively the same thing, it goes away in 1
minute plus the backend selection time lag as follows:

[root@coyote tmp]# time xscanimage
[sanei_debug] Setting debug level of epson to 0.
Alarm clock

real    1m1.559s
user    0m0.110s
sys     0m0.610s
[root@coyote tmp]#

I was quicker on the draw that time :-)

Now its running again, but with the epson iscan backend.  And that
doesn't time out, at least in the 1+ minute the plustek backend
does.  I left it running for about 5 minutes.

So that tells me the 1 minute "alarm clock" is in the plustek
backend.  But I haven't grepped for it.

--
Cheers, Gene
AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M