[sane-devel] Feature freeze for SANE 1.0.10

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf@epkowa.co.jp
22 Jan 2003 09:04:29 +0900

Henning Meier-Geinitz <henning@meier-geinitz.de> writes:

> On Wed, Jan 15, 2003 at 10:20:46AM +0900, Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:
> > Henning Meier-Geinitz <henning@meier-geinitz.de> writes:
> >
> > > Does it make sense to add a .desc file in the external section? So
> > > the epson kowa backend would show up on the SANE webpage as external
> > > backend.
> >
> > I guess it would.  While we are at it, I guess you could also add
> > "Image Scan! for Linux" to the frontends page.
>
> There is a link now. However, I just found out that iscan only works
> with Epson scanners. From frontend/pisa_sane_scan.cc:
>
>       if ( 0 == ::strcasecmp ( ppdevice_list [ i ]->vendor, "epson" ) )

Harrumpf.  I'll see what I can do about that (read: what I'm allowed
to do about that in our official packages).  Hmm, a configure option
perhaps?  That could keep both sides happy.

> And in fact, it ignores all my scanners. If I "fake" an Epson scanner,
> the device is opened and the option descriptors are read but nothing
> more. So iscan is not really a SANE frontend in my opinion.

Agreed on the frontend part.  Personally I think it'd be nice if iscan
supported scanner from other manufacturers as well, but I'm not sure
what the people who foot the bill think about that.

> So I'll add a comment to the SANE frontends page.
>
> Still waiting for the epsonkw.desc :-)

Don't hold your breath :-)  I'm up to (way over) my ears in work.
--
Olaf Meeuwissen                            EPSON KOWA Corporation, ECS
Penguin's lib!       -- I hack, therefore I am --               LPIC-2