[sane-devel] stupid question about SCSI

Theodore Kilgore kilgota@banach.math.auburn.edu
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 11:59:16 -0600 (CST)

Hmmm.

Seems to me it is time to open the box, inspect the card, write down the
numbers on the chips, find the manufacturer and model number written on
the card if one is lucky, if not then look at the FCC ID number and chase
it down on the web. For those not in the US, the FCC is the Federal
Communications Commission of the US government, which exists primarily to
allocate bands for radio and TV transmission, to assign designated
frequencies for radio and TV broadcasters, and to police violators who
cause unwarranted interference therewith. Since computer equipment
operates within ranges of frequencies which can potentially cause
interference with radio or TV reception, all computer components have to
be registered with the FCC and certified as to their non-interference with
radio and TV. The FCC maintains a cross-referenced database of numbers,
which is available on the web. I don't remember the exact coordinates, but
it is easily found with Google. I would suspect that, since the US is a
big market for computer components and accessories, just about everyone
puts the number somewhere on the product, else it could not be sold here.

Hope this helps.

Theodore Kilgore