[sane-devel] Problems with Benq S2W 5000E

Fri, 24 Jan 2003 14:19:46 +0100

Hi,

On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 11:54:45AM +0100, Sven Sanwald wrote:
> with my Benq S2W 5000E I have the problem that after the first half
> of the scanned area the scanner stops  with the output:

I have no idea about this error, but about the "Device busy":

> bash-2.05a# scanimage -L
> [sanei_debug] Setting debug level of snapscan to 2.
> [snapscan] add_usb_device: error opening device libusb:001:002: Device busy

SANE tries to talk to your scanner using the generic USB driver via
libusb first. It can find the scanner but can't open it because it was
already claimed by the USB scanner driver. This is not an error.

> device `snapscan:/dev/usb/scanner0' is a Acer FlatbedScanner25 flatbed scanner

And therefore, the scanner is detected by the USB kernel scanner driver.

> I use the kernel 2.4.21-pre3 and and linux from scratch system version 4.0.

I don't think the problem is related to the "Device Busy" message but
to make sure, do "rmmod scanner" and try again. You may need to set up
permissions for usbfs (see man sane-usb) to get that working.

Now you should be able to scan using libusb instead of the kernel
scanner driver. If the same error occurs, it looks like a backend
problem. Otherwise, it may be a problem with the kernel scanner driver
or sanei_usb.