[sane-devel] stupid question about SCSI

Mark Plowman sane-devel@plowman.xs4all.nl
29 Jan 2003 11:09:32 +0100

On Wed, 29 Jan 2003 08:47:17 +0000, Major A <andras@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> > The scsi card has all sorts of letters and numbers so here goes
> >
> > Chip = DOMEX436P
>
> OK, here we go, after a google search:
>
>   http://www.domex.com.tw/driver/d_3181.htm
>
> No word about linux, of course.

Of course... ;-)

> It IS the ISA card I was talking about, with the DTC436P chip on it.
> It is not supported by Linux, or at least not properly (there is
> only one success story of someone using it in Linux, but that was
> back in 1997, and I couldn't reproduce the results back then).

I am at work at the moment, but I am pretty sure that I got that card
working under Linux last year, I kept the settings at home, so you
will have to wait 8 hours until I can find the scrap of paper...

> Do yourself a favour and get a decent card instead.

It is a pretty poor card as it doesn't have an interrupt line and so
must be polled all the time, not such a bad idea under a single user
system like M$, but a definite disadvantage under Linux.  A cheap
Symbios/NCR/<whatever they are called now> SCSI card will be a lot
better (faster and less loading for the system), but this card should
(just) work.

>   Andras

Greetings

Mark

  then each of us still has one object.
If each of us have one idea, and we exchange them,
  then each of us now has two ideas.

Do *not* use the following address, it's just a "spam trap":
  aaron02@plowman.xs4all.nl