[sane-devel] Problems getting SANE to recognise an HP ScanJet 5P

Martin inkubus@interalpha.co.uk
03 Jul 2003 12:36:45 +0100

> > Background info:
> > *. Custom UltraSPARC IIi based machine running Debian 3.0
> Updated SANE packages for Woody are here:
> http://people.debian.org/~aurel32/sane.html
OK will try.

> > *. SCSI bus and cable definately works
> > *. Scanner worked last time it was used (a little while back) and can be
> > made to play music in test mode.
> It worked with the same configuration (sane version etc.)?
No.  What I ment is that I have seen this hardware work at least once
and nothing drastic has happened to it since.

> > Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 00
> >   Vendor: HP       Model: C5110A           Rev: 3701
> >   Type:   Processor                        ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> Looks ok for me. Nothing else in this file?
I snipped to the relevant parts:

[martin@raphael martin]$ cat /proc/scsi/scsi
Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: QUANTUM  Model: QM39100TD-SW     Rev: N491
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 06 Lun: 00
  Vendor: TEAC     Model: CD-ROM CD-532S   Rev: 1.0A
  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 00
  Vendor: HP       Model: C5110A           Rev: 3701
  Type:   Processor                        ANSI SCSI revision: 02

> > [martin@raphael martin]$ cat /etc/sane.d/hp.conf
> > scsi HP
> > /dev/scanner
> Should be ok, too. You could also add /dev/sg?, but that shouldn't be
> necessary. With ? beeing the correct number for the sg device of your
> scanner.
OK will try.

> > sane-find-scanner: searching for SCSI scanners:
> > sane-find-scanner: checking /dev/scanner... open ok
> > sane-find-scanner: found SCSI disk "  " at device /dev/scanner
> You have linked a disk to /dev/scanner, not the scanner. At least
> that's what sane-find-scanner thinks.
>
> > sane-find-scanner: checking /dev/sg0... open ok
> > sane-find-scanner: found SCSI disk "  " at device /dev/sg0
> > sane-find-scanner: checking /dev/sg1... open ok
> > sane-find-scanner: found SCSI disk "  " at device /dev/sg1
> > sane-find-scanner: checking /dev/sg2... open ok
> > sane-find-scanner: found SCSI disk "  " at device /dev/sg2
> > <snip>
> Same here. On which sg device is the scanner ("processor") found?
/dev/sg2 - that's why I posted the output of this.  It looked the
closest thing to an error to me.

> For me, that looks like a problem with the SCSI subsystem.
Yea I beginning to think so as well :-\

> > Can anyone suggest where I might be able to find more info or what I
> > might be doing wrong?
> SANE thinks you are trying to scan from a SCSI disk. Can you show us
> the complete output of /proc/scsi/scsi and "sane-find-scanner -v -v"?

raphael:/u/martin# sane-find-scanner -v -v
# Note that sane-find-scanner will find any scanner that is connected
# to a SCSI bus and some scanners that are connected to the Universal
# Serial Bus (USB) depending on your OS. It will even find scanners
# that are not supported at all by SANE. It won't find a scanner that
# is connected to a parallel or proprietary port.

sane-find-scanner: searching for SCSI scanners:
sane-find-scanner: checking /dev/scanner... failed to open
sane-find-scanner: checking /dev/sg0... open ok
sane-find-scanner: found SCSI disk "  " at device /dev/sg0
sane-find-scanner: checking /dev/sg1... open ok
sane-find-scanner: found SCSI disk "  " at device /dev/sg1
sane-find-scanner: checking /dev/sg2... open ok
sane-find-scanner: found SCSI disk "  " at device /dev/sg2
<snip (everything else says failed to open)>

I'll start looking at the SCSI drivers as well.

Cheers,
 - Martin

--
Martin