[sane-devel] Does anyone need help writing a backend?

Sat, 19 Jul 2003 14:06:41 +0200

Hi,

(cc'ing to sane-devel)

On Sat, Jul 19, 2003 at 06:28:48AM -0500, Roger O Wales wrote:
> I do, but I don't think I'm going to be able to get the info from either
> the Visioneer people or the Realtek people.  I've called Mr. Brandon
> Green the Technical Director of Visioneer at ((25) 251-6300 but keep
> getting his voice mail service and no replies.  Realtek is worse.  I'm
> not very good at reverse engineering stuff even though I've been chief
> engineer several times in my life.

I have no idea how complicated that realtek protocol is. Sometimes
it's quite easy, sometimes it's pretty hard.

> I will say that the Visioneer 5800 satisfies the low end of the price
> spectrum.  Micro Center, a national mail order, and retailer is featuring
> a $10 rebate on this scanner for $29.99 USD.

I'd like to help but the problem is that Visioneer scanners don't seem
to be sold in Germany. At least I have checked about 10 online stores
and nobody sells any Visioneer scanners. Even Ebay Germany has only a
few of them and only older models. So I don't think I'm able to get
one of these and help.

Support for these scanners would be good because this Realtek chipset
seems to be used by quite a variety of scanners.