[sane-devel] sane-backends effectively GPL'd in disguise?

Sat, 26 Jul 2003 13:49:57 +0200

Hi,

On Fri, Jul 25, 2003 at 10:59:08AM +0900, Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:
> Thanks for the quick action.  As for the lalloca.h file, you may be
> able to use the following (taken from the autoconf info pages which
> are under the FDL)
>
>     /* AIX requires this to be the first thing in the file.  */
>     #ifndef __GNUC__
>     # if HAVE_ALLOCA_H
>     #  include <alloca.h>
>     # else
>     #  ifdef _AIX
>      #pragma alloca
>     #  else
>     #   ifndef alloca /* predefined by HP cc +Olibcalls */
>     char *alloca ();
>     #   endif
>     #  endif
>     # endif
>     #endif
>
> I *think* you can cite "fair use" and put this in the public domain.
> Double checking with the authors, of course, won't hurt :-)

The code that's currently used is based on the autoconf manual (from
1997). I've found a comment in the Changelog. As this is a very small
piece of code and the autoconf authors state it should be used in the
program I don't see any problem to use GPL + SANE exceptions for it.

Meanwhile all files but sanei/linux_sg3_err.h have been changed to
GPL+ SANE exception. I'm waiting for the response of the sg_utils
author before I decide what to do with that file. We only need the
#defines anyway.

I've found some backends that don't use the SANE exception, some of
them maybe unintentional. I'll write a sepearate email about this topic.