[sane-devel] Scanner panel buttons

m. allan noah anoah@pfeiffer.edu
Tue, 29 Jul 2003 12:03:15 -0400 (EDT)

depends heavily on the scanner model and backend software design. some
scanners use a usb interrupt pipe to have the host check for button
presses periodically, sending a proprietary data packet at each request,
which would need to be reverse engineered.

other scanners use scsi commands over bulk usb pipe, so you have to
determine the appropriate scsi command and send this to the scanner
periodically, and interpret the return data in the backend.

this would require adding a new sane_* function call to the
sane spec, so that the frontend could ask the backend periodically, or
the backend could set an option descriptor to run the button check, and
the frontend could flip that option back and forth every couple seconds.
the backend could set its results from looking at the buttons in some
other option. this is how i am patching the fujitsu backend to work.

allan