[sane-devel] How to combine scanned images together and print them as a file

Alex Belits abelits@phobos.illtel.denver.co.us
Tue, 4 Mar 2003 13:26:09 -0700 (MST)

On Tue, 4 Mar 2003, Stephen Liu wrote:

> I have been searching for their replacement running on Linux for more
> than 4 years.  Lately Google search found me another guy.  He also
> started searching the same things since 1999 without result.
>
> You have to scan all paper documents manually and keep them on folders
> created, make a short description of each document and set time to
> refresh the database automatically after office hour.

  This is not necessary -- a simple shell script can just run scanimage in
a loop and keep all documents in some directory, along with the
"descriptor" file with document file names and descriptions (entered
before or after every scan). If necessary, the same script can run gocr on
them to produce a text, and keep the name of the text file on the same
line in the "descriptor" file.

> Then you can
> search your document with keyword and variable.  It is also possible to
> search the content of the document.  But you need OCR to assist you.  It
> is very useful for a paperless office keeping all paper documents on a
> database.

  What I have described will work -- of course, if the quality of the
document allows for reasonably good OCR.

--
Alex