[sane-devel] How to combine scanned images together and printthem as a file

Stephen Liu satimis@icare.com.hk
Sun, 09 Mar 2003 23:31:38 +0800

Hi Abel,

Thanks for your advice.

abel deuring wrote:
 > - snip -
 >
 > I think that there is no free software based out-of-the-box solution
 > available. But you can combine a number of useful free software
 > packages
 > to get the job done: Sane for image aquisition; and tools like
 > ImageMagick, the pnmtools or similar for image format conversion.
 > Ghostscript can produce PDF files, provided that you have Postscript
 > data available -- and there is more than one way to write Postscript
 > files from "pixel images". Other members of this mailing list have
 > already mentioned them.

Could you please advise what is the name of the LINK - "to write
Postscript files from "pixel images" which you mentioned?

 > You can "glue" these programs with shell scripts, written for bash,
 > csh
 > or the Korn shell. Alternatively, yxou can use a more advanced
 > scripting
 > languages like Perl, Python or Ruby to get the job done. Python has
 > even
 > its own "pixel image manipulation" package, called PIL. (The other
 > languages may have similar tools, but I am not aware of any.)

The problem is I am not a programmer having no experience to glue
them together.  Could you please give me some hint/guide to start.

 > Have a look at Gift (GNU Image-Finding Tool):
 > http://www.gnu.org/software/gift/gift.html It's in a quite early
 > development stage though.

Noted with thanks

- snip -
 > alternatively you might try Zope (http://www.zope.org) and one of its
 > additional products for photo galleries. (But I should mention that
 > Zope is quite complex beast...)

I just subscribe Zope and will try to find out more information there.

B.Regards
Stephen