[sane-devel] Updating sane-backends

Richard M. Teitel rich@teitel.net
Tue, 11 Mar 2003 17:01:43 -0500

Henning Meier-Geinitz wrote:

>"T. Ribbrock" <emgaron@gmx.net> wrote in the last therad you initiated
>that he has made RPMs for Redhat. That would be more clean than to
>install from .tar.gz

Perhaps I misread T. Ribbrocks message. I thought he said he had rpms
for sane-backends-1.0.9, but not yet for 1.0.11. My impression was that
1.0.11 would solve the problems but 1.0.9 might not. So I opted for the
tar version.

>you could . . . overwrite the files of your distribution. That's done by running configure in sane-backends with the arguments --prefix=/usr --sysconfigdir=/etc. Check configure --help for the meaning.

That's extremely useful information that never occured to me. I will
check the configure --help files and figure out how to install the new
files on top of the old ones. I will also uninstall the old files by
forcing rpm to ignore the dependencies.

Thanks for the suggestions. And for your patience with one who knows so
little.

Rich Teitel