[sane-devel] Problems with Plustek driver

Jaeger, Gerhard gerhard@gjaeger.de
Thu, 13 Mar 2003 19:42:17 +0100

Hi,

On Donnerstag, 6. März 2003 15:06, Danilo Godec wrote:
[SNIP]
> I've made an interesting discovery - if I used the forceMode=1 and mov=2
> parameters to pt_drv, the scanner was not recognized correctly (it was
> recognized as 4380P when in fact it is a Primax 4800 Direct), but then
> 'scanimage -L' actually found it as available.
>
> And xscanimage actually scanned something - it was a bit blueish and a bit
> garbled, but at least there was something! :)
>
> Which of course leads me to believe that the problem lies either in the
> BIOS / EPP implementation or the kernel (it's Suse 8.1 default kernel with
> all their options - maybe something conficts with pt_drv)...

Well, you can try and set your BIOS to SPP, then set forceMode=0
this should at least work. Additional you might play around with slowIO=1
to slow down the I/O access.
The SPP mode should be save, but slow. It has been also reported, that
module lp.o causes some trouble...
But in general you are right, all that depends on your BIOS and sometimes
on the kernel cfg - you might also alter the kernel cfg to not use IEEE1248
functions in parport module.

Good luck
   Gerhard