[sane-devel] Re: scanner.o modules

Sergey Vlasov vsu@altlinux.ru
Fri, 14 Mar 2003 16:14:47 +0300

On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 12:58:00 +0100
Henning Meier-Geinitz <henning@meier-geinitz.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Mar 14, 2003 at 12:10:30PM +0100, Lars Täuber wrote:
> > Ok, seems I have to live with it, but it's a bad solution for me,
> > because I can't switch off my scanner.
>
> Huh? Why? Just switch it off. The scanner module will detect it again
> when you power it up again.

Not all scanners can be switched off - e.g. Mustek BearPaw 2400TA. You
can disconnect the external power adapter - the scanner will not work,
but will still be visible as an USB device (and will even respond to
most commands). Seems that the scanner controller is powered from USB,
and external power is used only for the lamp and possibly the motor.

Some CIS scanners don't even need any power source except USB.