[sane-devel] Affordable film scanner supported by SANE

Petter Sundlöf petter.sundlof@findus.dhs.org
Sat, 15 Mar 2003 21:00:43 +0100

Major A wrote:
>>However, there seems to be few in the affordable range (around and
>>below) ~<400$ that are supported by SANE. Without knowing about support,
>>I had considered the Minolta Dual Scan III. It seems to not be working
>>very well, if at all.
>>Epson doesn't seem to work very well either. Anyhow, they seem to
>>abandon their products (no matter if they provide specifications, right?).
>

> It's long since EPSON abandoned their FS200, but I think there is a
> working backend for it, but not within the main SANE source. AFAIK,
> Minolta is totally unsupported due to the lack of documentation, so
> are all those Jenoptik/Reflecta, Acer/Benq, etc. low-end scanners you
> find in every shop today. I'm not sure about Canon. No support for
> Polaroid and high-end scanners either (Leaf, Imacon, etc.) There is
> support for some old film scanners made by Microtek, but I don't know
> the details.
>
> The only current scanner line that has full SANE support is the Nikon
> Coolscan range. Get any Coolscan scanner, and it will work (or tell me
> if it doesn't and we'll fix it). ICE is still work-in-progress, but it
> shouldn't be too hard to work out the algorithms for anyone who has a
> weekend free and a fast computer.
>
>   Andras

> Major Andras
>     e-mail: andras@users.sourceforge.net
>     www:    http://andras.webhop.org/

Hello.

Thanks for the response, it is greatly appreciated.

Then it would seem there are no options for me. The cheapeast Nikon film
scanner is around ~800 US $. I will have to drop the idea of buying a
filmer scanner and continue getting it on CD from the store :/ Sigh.