[sane-devel] Multiple page scans

Sun, 16 Mar 2003 01:31:51 +0100

Hi,

On Sat, Mar 15, 2003 at 07:00:54PM -0500, James Finnall wrote:
> I am new to XSane and I have an upcoming project that I need to scan
> multiple pages into a single file.  I have setup a print filter
> that converts PostScript to PDF.  If I print a multiple page
> document it will create a multiple page PDF.  When I use XSane to
> scan multiple pages using the "Save" mode to a PostScript file in a
> serial file sequence and perform several scans.  Multiple files are
> created.  When I attempt to print them combined using the "lpr"
> command it creates the PDF output but with only a single page.  Is
> there a way to create a multiple page PostScript output file?  Or
> even a multiple page document of any file type?  Or alternative
> method to combine the files and print in a single job?
>
> Perhaps you may even be able to suggest an easier, better way to
> perform the task or an additional package for XSane, etc.  I am
> open to any sugestions.

Why are you using lpr at all? You don't want to pront but want to
combine files if I understood correctly.

Let xsane create 0001.png 0002.png etc. (whatever file format you like).
Use ImageMagick convert to create a ps (or pdf or whatever you like).

convert 0001.png 0002.png ... out.pdf

That's all. Or let xsane create 0001.ps 0002.ps and so on and use
psmerge to combine these files to one postsrcipt file. Use ps2pdf to
generate pdf from postscript.

There was a thread on this mailinglist for a similar task some time
ago. Search the archive for "How to combine scanned image".