[sane-devel] Re: Upgrade question

T. Ribbrock emgaron@gmx.net
Tue, 18 Mar 2003 09:12:10 +0100

On Tue, Mar 18, 2003 at 01:30:25PM +0800, Stephen Liu wrote:
> Hi all folks,
>
> RH7.3
> CPU: PII-350
[...]

> Now I have following packages downloaded from ftp.redhat.com
>
> sane-backends-1.0.11-1.i586.rpm
> sane-backends-devel-1.0.11-1.i586.rpm
> sane-frontends-1.0.10-1.i586.rpm
> xsane-0.90-1.i586.rpm
> xsane-gimp-0.90-1.i586.rpm
>
> Kindly advise whether I can upgrade and run those packages (.i586.rpm)
> in my system

As those packages are from me, I can say something about them... :-)
They were built for RHL 7.3, which you have, so that's ok.

Further, they were built as "Pentium" packages (hence the i586), i.e.
they should work on any Pentium or higher - that includes the PII.
They'll also work on AMD's like the K6, K6-2 and Athlon (in fact, they
were built on an Athlon system).
They will *not* work on a 386 or 486 system (but who would run scanner on
such a system these days anyway...).

So, yes, you should be able to use these RPMs to upgrade your system.

Cheerio,

Thomas
                Thomas Ribbrock    http://www.ribbrock.org