[sane-devel] HP 3570c scanner - No Backend?

Tue, 18 Mar 2003 16:55:51 +0100

Hi,

On Wed, Mar 19, 2003 at 12:12:58AM +1100, Damien Solley wrote:
> I have recently received a HP 3570c scanner as a birthday present.
> Unfortunately, I've discovered that SANE doesn't have a backend for it.
> Is anyone aware of development of a driver for it (or even for the HP
> 3500)?

As far as I know noone is working on a driver.

> If not, can someone point me towards info on getting it done myself?

Find out what protocol is used. There is already a bit information
about the chipset in the SANE scanner lists on the SANE website.

Get documentation from the maufacturer of the scanner and/or chipset.
If you can't get that, find out how the protocol works.

Once you know the basic protocol, write a Linux program that
reproduces the USB commands. You can make that a backend later.

More info is in doc/backend-writing.txt in the sane-backends source
code package and here:
http://www.meier-geinitz.de/sane/misc/develop.html

Please keep us informed. Even if you made only small progress like
getting usb logs under windows, place them on a website so others can
have a look at them. We'll add a link to them from the SANE scanner
lists.