[sane-devel] Affordable film scanner

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan@buzzard.org.uk
Mon, 24 Mar 2003 11:33:25 +0000

ukd@xenon.pc.Uni-Koeln.DE said:
> Some recent film scanners appear not to have exposure controls. As far
> as I know, the Canon FS2710S is such a case. But it scans 3x12 bits,
> and so it is OK to do the gamma correction in the backend and then
> truncate to 3x8 bit.

The Canon FS2710S is *not* a recent film scanner. It is now a very old
model and virtually obsolete. To be honest I am surprise that Canon have
not already replaced it. No recent scanners have only a SCSI interface
which should be a clue as to its age.

Also backends truncating to 8bit for output are *very* nasty when it
comes to film scanners.

> I think this is just the modern trend in computer pheripherals: Build
> them as simple as dumb as possible, and provide a fancy driver to
> compensate the faults.

Perhaps, but not in film scanners. As far as I can make out they get
packed with more and more features as time goes by.

JAB.

--
Jonathan A. Buzzard                 Email: jonathan@buzzard.me.uk
Northumberland, United Kingdom.       Tel: +44 1661-832195