[sane-devel] What about creating music with scanning devices?

John Coppens jcoppens@usa.net
Mon, 31 Mar 2003 15:28:19 -0300

Hi Martin

Just an idea: Scanners are quite slow, and would provide little
interactivity. Wouldn't it be more usefull to use a web-cam (or better)
for this? Maybe a cheap webcam might not provide enough resolution (320
pix horizontally or so) but a medium quality camera can give 640, op to
1600 or more pixels/line - at 6 octaves, that's 100 pixels/octave or more!

If you want the 'touch effect' of the glass, use a glass pane, with
backlighting and the camera on the other side.

This way you can have up to 50 (60) images/second and a much faster
reaction speed for your musical instrument.

Just a thought...

John